Tuesday, January 8, 2008

the real deal...

WOW... Is probably the best way to sum up my first day of work. The design firm I'm working at is the real deal and I am so excited/lucky to be here.

I showed up at work at 10 (they normally want me at 9 but for my first day they wanted me a little later) and the guy who hired me, showed me around the design firm. I was shocked right from the beginning at how cool the studio was. Its built in an old factory, and its kinda hard to describe, but its very state of the art, complete with nice conference rooms, big studio spaces, group work areas, cool coffee break room, huge shop (where they mill models and prototypes), a neat outdoor workspace (if only it were a little warmer), and a lot more. The whole office is very stylized and covered with posters and examples of products designed in the past. Did you know that they invented the swiffer?

Anyway, after showing me around the office, I was introduced to all the employees. There are mostly italians, as well as a few people from other random countries. They are excellent people, very nice, very helpful seeming, and very qualified. I am excited to be able to work with them.

So after all the introductions, I had to do a bunch of logistical stuff, like getting a log-in and password, getting a work space, etc. Then I basically just spent the middle of the day reading old marketing presentations about all the products they have designed, just to familiarize myself with the company's process. I should be getting my new project assignments shortly.

For the quick lunch break in the middle of the day, I went out to eat with all the other employees. Because there are only 15 of them, and because they work so much, I get the impression that they are all best friends and basically spend a lot of time together. The other guys are all pretty interested to know my background, although none of them have heard much about BYU, so its fun to be the first one to tell them about it.

Tomorrow I'm supposed to present my portfolio to the whole clan. I'm a little nervous for that, however, as long as I am confident about how I explain it, I'm sure they will find things they like in it. (they are very nice people)

Anyway, today was absolutely amazing. I didn't leave work until 7, and I got home around 7:30. I ate some quick dinner and crashed at 8:30!

So, overall, this is going to be an amazing experience. I'm still nervous about my ability to perform at the level this company is at, but luckily, I'm just an intern and I'm here to learn!



(I'm posting this tuesday morning because my internet doesn't work at night for some reason)

4 comments:

Elly said...

Good luck with your portfolio presentation tomorrow (today for you)! Everything sounds amazing. What an opportunity...!

Mom n Pop Wilson said...

Glad your first day went so well! What a great experience. Good luck on your presentation! Love ya, Mom

Tori said...

Yay!!! How exciting. I am so glad its such a great opportunity. Good luck with your presentation, I know you'll do great. (picture me with a huge smile and two thumbs up! :)

Jeremy and Natalie said...

you will do great! good luck jacob!